He had his first chemo treatment on Thursday of last week. What a horrible thing to go through. I am grateful for the gospel and the power of the priesthood and the love my family has for one another. I am grateful the cancer was found now at stage 2 of the cancer (stages are 1 to 4. Four being the worst). Lymphoma is a cancer you can battle with and win if you are in the early stages. The road ahead will be hard, heart breaking and discouraging at times but we are all hopeful for a full recovery.
We found out about the cancer in the middle of the night 3 weeks ago. My parents were in Wyoming and an ER doctor gave them the news. I received a call from my sister at 4:30am telling me the situation. Talk about a nightmare of a call. Also it completely blind sided me since I had no reason to expect this. One half hour later my sister and my older brother Jeff were on my doorstep. Everyone of my siblings were in that car and we drove to Wyoming to be there with my mom and my dad. At that time we did not know what type of lymphoma he had, how much it had spread or what stage it was in. Three weeks later we know what type, what stage and that it has not spread to the bone marrow. For this we are very thankful.
The type of cancer he has is very aggressive and he will be receiving chemo every 2 weeks for the coming months. Followed by radiation 5 days a week for a full month. He is always on my mind and in my heart as well as my mom as they go through this together. I only wish I could do more to help. It is quite a helpless feeling.
I know of the power of prayer and I have my Dad's name on the temple prayer roll and a prayer in my heart daily. Since my blog is private I felt that I could share some of what we are going through at this time and ask that you too pray for my dad. I will put posts on here from time to time of his progress.
Bryan and the kids and I are headed to Powell in the morning. Originally the trip was planned with my parents coming along as well. (My entire family is going). My Dad was still considering going this morning with us. However the fatigue and pains suggested he stay. We will all miss him and my mom while we are there but will see them this weekend. My Dad didn't want us to cancel the trip.
7 comments:
Cher,
I'm so sorry you have to go on this journey.
We'll pray for your dad and for your family.
Love,
Tanya
Oh Cherolyn, I am so sorry. Our thoughts and prayers will be with you and your amazing family. Your dad is a great man and we wish the best for him. I know we have never really hung out, but I would be happy to help with your kids if you feel you need a day to spend with your mom and dad.
Katie
I am truly sorry Cher. This is hard stuff...I know. But we are so grateful for modern medicine and for the hope that it brings us! That is good news that they caught it fairly early. Chemo is not fun for anyone involved, and I will keep your dad and the rest of you in my prayers. I am certain that you will experience many tender mercies during this time. Hang in there...I love you much!!
Cher, I am so sorry to heat about your Dad. I will be praying for you and your family and Dad at this difficult time. Know that my thoughts are with you.
Cherolyn, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. Your family is so close and that love will be such a strength to him during his treatment. You and your family are in my prayers.
I am so sorry to hear about your dad. It is so hard to watch terrible things happen to people we LOVE SO MUCH!
Cher,
I am so, so, sorry to hear of all your family is going through right now! You are right though, you are a strong, loving bunch, full of support and hope and you will get through this together. We will be sure to keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Know that we love you all!
Jenn
Post a Comment