Sunday, November 30, 2008

Christmas Tree Hunting - Thanksgiving Day 2008

Hiking out to my Dad's "super secret Christmas tree grove" in the Uinta National Forest.
Cecily posing in front of a childhood fort that my brother Allen built when we were kids. I helped build the "basket ball court" behind the fort but it no longer stands. There is however a bit left of the giant lean too I built. I didn't take a picture of it though. Too bad.
After about a mile and a half we arrived to the "secret place" and thought this tree behind us might be the one. By this time Cecily was really grumpy. Bentley was too until we gave him a little saw. He started cutting branches with it then he was good.
So I take forever to make decisions. I'm trying to decide between two of the trees. My brother Allen is there trying to point out the good and the bad about both and my dad waiting patiently there with the saw.
FYI - That giant puffy coat I am wearing I have owned for 12 years! Yes I am serious. TWELVE YEARS! I always wear it when I need to be really warm but don't want to ruin a nice coat. I knew it was old but until I saw a picture with me in that coat from the year 1996 did I know it was so stinkin' OLD! I will quote the great movie Lonesome Dove and say, "No use quitin' on a garment just cuz' it's got some age."
Cecily's got that fake cry down.
I thought I could cut it with that whimpy saw.
It came down a lot faster when Bryan got out the AXE!
After it was cut down we got some smiles out of the kids. (They still managed to whine the whole way back though).

We have had a great Thanksgiving break and have the whole house decorated and ready for Christmas! Including this tree! I love my little family so much. And am so grateful for them and just ALL of my family.

7 comments:

Angela said...

I want to go cut down a Christmas tree. It looks like a lot of fun. I have always wanted to do it, maybe someday. Real trees in the Philippines are hard to come by and super expensive because they are imported. Crazy, huh'?
Your family is adorable. Glad you had a great Thanksgiving. :)

Marianne said...

I remember that coat!! I'm so glad you've gotten such good use out of it! I need to go downstairs and get out my fake tree...it looks like your tree-getting was much more fun!

Heather J. said...

It's so strange for me to see snow...I think it's been about 2 years since we saw snow in DC, before moving here to NC. Sad, huh. Love the pictures and the secret place looks like such a wonderful tradition!

Anonymous said...

What a fun tradition!!!

Katie

Monica said...

Lucky! I have always wanted to pick out and chop down my own Christmas tree. It just sounds so dreamy!

MELISSA said...

Love the pictures! It was fun being up there with you guys! I finally found out my blog address... allen-melissa.blogspot.com

The 5 Happy Dayz said...

Dude Remember when we went to get that christmas trees on the snowmobiles with you guys!? I was pregnant and didn't think I would be able to get through the snow back to the mobiles! Good Times! I also remember it was ginormous when we got it home!