Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A visit to the moon.

Not really.  But it's a good photo op at the moon surface exhibit at Clark's Planetarium at the Gateway in Salt Lake City.  Too bad for us the only camera we brought was the iphone.  So the picture is blurry.
For us though this past week it has felt a bit like being on the moon.  Bryan was let go from his job along with the entire marketing team, executives and 30% of the company.  The company laid off a bunch of people back in November and instead of laying Bryan off gave him a raise. 

This didn't comfort us much and when we heard of more restructuring coming we always wondered when it might happen. And when it really did happened last week it hit hard. And then with all the news talk of the economy and how it is going to get worse before it gets better - it's a lot to deal with. 

Thank goodness Bryan has always stayed busy on the side with free lance work.  He has many contacts and currently has a few gigs. I have all the confidence in his skills but not much confidence in this economy.  Bryan's sister's husband lost his job on the same day because of the company he worked for cutting back.  So - we are really feelin it and it is new territory for us just like landing on the moon.

It is like Bryan says, "I'm the one that has always broken up with the company - the company has never broken up with me!#@??!!"  Referring to the fact that he has never been laid off from a job but instead has left for better offers.  Well times are a changin.  And we have to brave the unknown just like the first astronauts that landed on the moon.

6 comments:

Marianne said...

I am so sorry Cher. I know too many people in this situation...my sister's husband lost his job last year and it has been hard. But they have been pulling through, just like I know you guys will!

Tanya said...

Hey Cher. I'm sorry to hear that Bryan lost his job! There is so much to learn from living in an economy like this one. Bryan is extremely talented and I've always thought his talents really would take him to the moon. Ever since our wedding video! I hope this period passes quickly for you guys!! Maybe, just maybe, you could consider looking in good ol' TX for work! Good luck with everything. XO

Monica said...

Man this economy stuff really sucks. Hopefully you won't be on the moon too long. Good Luck!

Katie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie said...

Hey Cherolyn! Don't know how I ran into your blog, but I did--maybe because just a few weeks ago, the same thing happened to me and my husband! We both work for the UVU Wasatch Campus and they let everyone go. It was a shock and devestating. I can't tell you how blessed we've been since this happened. Things will work out--somehow! Remember your blessings and it makes everything a bit more easy to cope with. You have a darling family--I get to see their cute picutres on facebook!

We have a blog too, but it is private--if you want an invite email me at youngka@uvu.edu so I have your email!

Katie Di Stefano Young

Millie said...

Crap Cher sounds like a crazy week for both of us. Casey has been in the hospital see blog yes I updated. anyway sorry about Bryans job you must be so stress.