On our last day in Kauai we packed all our stuff up from the shanty and headed down the coast. Our flight wasn't leaving until 10:10pm so we had the whole day. When we arrived at Salt Pond beach it was warm. It was actually warm and the sun was out! We got back in our car and quickly drove back a few miles to Poipu beach and rented some snorkel gear. Yay. We were finally going to go snorkeling.
It was AMAZING!!! Right when I peaked my head in I was surrounded by hundreds of beautiful tropical fish! It was better than I had imagined it would be!
On our trip we saw a few Seals. When they come ashore like this one we saw at Poipu the lifeguards rope off an area for them so that they are not disturbed.
Just another shot of the inside of the honeymoon cottage. I have more on Bryan's computer and I'll probably do another post with more pictures. (If you all can stand it). Maybe they are boring for any readers I have out there but like I have said before this is the closest thing I have to a scrap book. And I want to remember all the details about this place so bare with me.

Bryan cleaning up before we had to leave.

Me with one of the giant Balinese wooden puppets that were on the front porch of the cottage.
A shot Bryan took during one of the many many rain storms. Kauai is the rainiest of all the Hawaiian islands but apparently during our visit they were experiencing the coldest weather they had had for 30 years. Or at least that is what the locals told us over and over.
Cool tree.

On the shore of the river we kyaked there was a Hawaiian village that you could walk through. Here in that village we posed at a rock called "The Love Rock." It is in the shape of a heart (you can't see all of it behind us but it really is in the shape of a heart) and said to be found there hundreds of years ago just as it is today.
One of the ancient Hawaiian huts. The rocks at the bottom forming a sort of "foundation" are the original ones found there hundreds of years ago. The hut itself has been recreated.
This is the Wilue river we kayaked (I can't remember how it is spelled). On The Wednesday before we left it was one of the rainiest days of all and we drove up the canyon and took this picture of the river below. We kayaked up a long ways to where there is a fork in the river. If you go left you can visit the popular Fern Grotto. (A cave with a lot of ferns). We turned right and that took us to the base of the muddy hiking trial that took us to the water fall.
We learned that this river is one of the first places where the people that settled Kauai landed and began to farm. On the hike up to the waterfall you can see many rock terrace walls that were made by these people to trap the water and grow their gardens and crops. Much of them are overgrown by the jungle trees and plants but there are some you can still see.

Bryan looking around for some sun. Or at least that is what I was doing.
Here is a picture of the LDS church house in Kapaa where we the nice lady gave us our cute handmade yarn lay necklaces. (Help somebody how do you spell lay or laie or whatever you call those flower necklaces in Hawaii).
2 comments:
It looks like you had a great trip! I remember going to Fern Grotto...it was cool to see what was on the other side! So I guess you're home now? You'll probably be wishing for Kauai's rain in the coming snowstorm!
P.S. I think it's spelled lei. :)
What a fun trip! Sans kids? How romantic! It looks so beautiful, as do you!!! So your blog is now private? It's a good idea. Half our family just wouldn't be able to figure ours out if we go private! :)
Post a Comment