Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Mokolini Crater - Maui, Hawaii

I am known for posting a gazillion pictures on every post but I LOVE PICTURES. For this post I have a ton of pictures but that is because snubaing at Mokolini Crater was a magical experience for me. Snubaing was very cool for someone like me that is not scuba certified. It gave me a chance to stay underwater and have the oxygen as if I was scuba diving! While snubaing your oxygen tank floats on the surface of the water in a little boat. You hold the oxygen in your mouth and the tube extends down about 20 feet. So after adjusting your ears to the depth you can stay there as long as you like.
Alex, Emily, Erik, Moana, Bryan and I went down with the guide and two other people. We were also able to snorkel and Amy, Phil and Kim were there too!
This is on the boat ride out to the crater. It took about 1 hour to get there. You can see the crater in the top right side of the picture. The water out there was the most beautiful color of cobolt blue.

Here is our snuba guide setting the oxygen tanks and the crater in the background.
Alex. See the only thing you need for snubaing is a weight belt to help keep you down and the oxygen mask!
Erik and our guide.

Me - who apparently thought it important to wave in every single picture taken of me underwater.
Erik and a fish
Bryan and I
Our snuba time was over way to quick but after that we got to snorkel.
Bryan

An artsy shot of me
Amy and Phil
Bryan doing a deep snorkel dive
Me again with the "waving hand." I am such a nerd.
After snubaing and snorkelling the staff of the boat BBQ'd some great burgers and dogs. Here are Alex and Emily near the buffet.
I recommend snubaing to any one that hasn't been scuba certified yet. This was a great experience. The water was beautiful and the fish neat. As far as the fish we saw I felt that the snorkelling in Kauai at Poipu was more abundant in all kinds of fish just FYI. Although I didn't see any turtles while I was in Kauai but swam with 4 of them while snorkeling in Mauia at Wilea. I didn't see any turtles at the crater but it was very cool.

No comments: