Third round of chemo tomorrow (thursday). This marks the half way mark for chemo treatments the doctors have planned. After the 6th treatment they will begin radiation 5 days a week for one month. That is the plan.
Chemotherapy makes for a long day at the Huntsman Cancer Institute for my Dad and my Mom. The first time he had Chemo he was hooked up to the IV for 8 hours. The second time about 6 hours.
The first week home after a chemo treatment he is miserable and is not able to get much sleep because the symptoms keep him up at night. Half way into the second week he starts to feel a lot better and that is how he knows it is getting close to the next treatment. As soon as you start feeling a bit better it is time to pump some more poison. His chemotherapy treatments are scheduled every two weeks. The day after the treatment they have him come back in to get this shot that tells the body to create lots of new cells (red or white) I can't remember. Because as you know chemo kills good cells with the cancerous ones. This shot causes lots of pain in the bones similar to growing pains for the next few days afterward as the bone marrow fights to create more of needed good cells.
I have not heard my Dad complain or mope. He keeps as active as he can during this difficult time. Thank you for remembering him and my Mom in your prayers.
(This picture was taken on the 4th of July. Just a couple weeks before we found out he had lymphoma).
Chemotherapy makes for a long day at the Huntsman Cancer Institute for my Dad and my Mom. The first time he had Chemo he was hooked up to the IV for 8 hours. The second time about 6 hours.
The first week home after a chemo treatment he is miserable and is not able to get much sleep because the symptoms keep him up at night. Half way into the second week he starts to feel a lot better and that is how he knows it is getting close to the next treatment. As soon as you start feeling a bit better it is time to pump some more poison. His chemotherapy treatments are scheduled every two weeks. The day after the treatment they have him come back in to get this shot that tells the body to create lots of new cells (red or white) I can't remember. Because as you know chemo kills good cells with the cancerous ones. This shot causes lots of pain in the bones similar to growing pains for the next few days afterward as the bone marrow fights to create more of needed good cells.
I have not heard my Dad complain or mope. He keeps as active as he can during this difficult time. Thank you for remembering him and my Mom in your prayers.
(This picture was taken on the 4th of July. Just a couple weeks before we found out he had lymphoma).
2 comments:
Wow, Cher, I pray things go well for you and your family. I can't imagine how that is. Another note, I love all your quips about your kids. Especially the funny things they say. Keep them coming!
I hope everything goes well. Health problems are soooo hard. I will be thinking about you.
Post a Comment